Thursday, May 19, 2016

Self Portrait


I chose to do an expressive portrait for this project.  When I was thinking about ideas I thought what would make an expressive face and I starting thinking about my greatest fear which is being strangled.  Every person is different with different likes, dislikes and fears.  My portrait shows who I am underneath and what my greatest fear is.
When I was taking reference pictures I tried having my brother strangle me but my facial expressions didn't match what I felt inside. I ended up using three different pictures and using different facial features from each.  One picture I used my eyes and another I used my mouth and the last I used my brothers hand that was strangling me.  
It took me a while to get my eyes and facial features drawn correctly and proportionally.  My mouth could have been drawn a bit bigger but other than that I think I did a good job and showing the scared and trapped facial expression that I feel if being strangled.  The portrait also looks a lot like myself so I am happy that I was able to draw me and not some random individual.  I used several pencils and a blending stump to draw this.
I chose to do an expressive portrait because I have always liked realistic drawings instead of things that look made up.  I think the best part of this portrait is my eyes.  I took a lot of time putting in value and making them look like my own.  I also think the hand is very well drawn and looks like what I wanted it to.  
This is a very original piece and I am very happy by how it turned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment