Thursday, May 26, 2016

Scratch Board

This is my final scratch board drawing.  I have done scratch board before but it wasn't as big as this one.  My idea for movement was the movement hair has in the wind.  In this drawing I tried to make the hair look wispy and free flowing as it does when hair is blowing in the wind.  For this one I have a woman with her head halfway out the window.  The texture in this piece is the strands of hair and I used lines to show the inside of the car so that you could see where the window was open.  It was really hard to get the face to look like it was looking up, but I think I accomplished that quite well.  The hair also looks free flowing and not weighed down so the idea behind the movement of the piece looks good.  I also incorporated value by using crosshatching in the shirt and neck.  The only thing I hate is that I rushed this piece a lot because I procrastinated getting my reference pictures so I had little time to actually use the scratch board.  For the composition I had the woman on the right side more so that more of the hair was what was seen first.  I think I could have added more hair and done more design in the window part, maybe have a background/scene so it pulls the piece together more.  I also think I need more work with understanding negative space and how to accomplish that successfully.  It's not my best piece but I still enjoy the way it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment